Norway is a founding member of the United Nations and UNESCO
Norway has been a consistent supporter of UNESCO’s mandate in education, science, culture, communication and information
Norway is a firm supporter of multilateral cooperation and seeks common solutions to global issues. We are committed to implementing the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development.
We are a long-standing partner of UNESCO, providing financial support and expertise, and promoting policies that are in line with the values of inclusion, equality, human rights and sustainability.
Norway will be a constructive, dedicated and reliable member of the Executive Board, and will work to promote:
- common solutions to global issues;
- efficient and ambitious coordination of Sustainable Development Goal 4, in line with UNESCO’s global mandate on education;
- a more robust, sustainable and inclusive ocean economy, and will continue to support the UN Decade of Ocean Science for Sustainable Development;
- a knowledge-based approach to UNESCO’s unique mandate on culture, including the preservation of heritage: cultural and natural, tangible and intangible;
- equality and inclusion, and support for UNESCO’s human rights mandate, including respect for fundamental freedoms such as freedom of expression, artistic freedom and the safety of journalists.